1. From east to west, o'er all the earth,
the angel choirs announce the birth
of Christ, the promised Prince of Peace,
who comes to bid our conflicts cease.
2. Yet their good news is barely heard,
and grieving hearts are left unstirred
when jobs are lost and homes foreclosed
and even god seems ill-disposed.
3. On darkest nights and saddest days
the angels still sing out their praise
of Christ whose love dispels the gloom
of shantytown and hospice room.
4. Their worldwide song is clearly heard
where hearts by human need are stirred;
the holy Child, his crib outgrown,
would make our lives his earthly home.
5. So, young and old, come join the song
in praise of Christ who rights each wrong,
and let us all in every way
make known with joy his birth today.